We are all aware of the benefits of a CDN (content distribution network) service to reduce the loading time of a website. Using CDN will significantly decrease your blog loading time and I have tried and tested it on my blog today.
If you are looking for an affordable solution – ideal for test sites or sites that do not exceed 20GB bandwidth per day, then we show: how to use Dropbox as free WordPress CDN :
Creating Dropbox account and download folder
Sign up for “Dropbox” download folder “wp-content” and “wp-includes” in your website. The folders and files below the climb to a public folder in Dropbox.
WordPress Plugin: WP Super Cache
To link the files that will be accommodated in Dropbox with your site, an additional plugin. For this we use: “WP Super Cache“, a powerful plugin that meets the objective:
1. Download the plugin ” WP Super Cache “and install it on your website:
2. In the “folder” Dropbox creates an additional folder, for example:”cdn”
3. Add folders that newly downloaded WordPress to Dropbox
4. Create a new “sub-domain” in cPanel or equivalent, eg “cdn.onesmartclick.in“5. Enter your “file manager” cPanel and locate the directory “cdn” newly created subdomain.Once inside, it creates a new file named “.htaccess” and paste the following code:
Redirect 301 / http://dl.dropbox.com/u/ID/cdn/
Please replace “ID” with the ID of your Dropbox account. The “ID” is a series of numbers that is part of a public record link:
6. Enter the settings for “Wp Super Cache” through the WordPress control panel.
Click on the tag: “CDN” check the box “Enable CDN Support” in the field: “Off-site URL , “writes the URL of the sub-domain you just created and “Save changes“:
Make a test to check that the files loaded correctly.
Remember : Use this setting to a site that does not consume more than 20GB / day (free Dropbox account) or 200GB / day (Pro DropBox Account); otherwise you may be subject to Dropbox cancel your service.
If you’re a developer or designer this tip is ideal for a test site 😉 success !
Abhijit is a Certified Digital Marketer and passion-driven creative individual based in Maharashtra (Karad). He is also Freelance Blogger, Enterprenuer and Webmaster.